Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Home Made Hot Dog Slaw

I made some dogs at home this weekend, mainly because all the decent hot dog joints in town are closed on Sunday and I didn't feel like driving to Lesage.

Home made dogs, no matter how good, just don't satisfy like those from a decent hot dog joint. I can't explain it. It might be the excessive amount of time it takes when you have to prepare the chili and slaw yourself. This is not fast food. It took me a good 30 minutes to make the slaw, and my wife made her special BBQ chili which took an hour. She won't divulge her recipe but I will:

Pretty Decent WV Hot Dog Slaw

Ingredients:

2 cups grated cabbage
1/4 cup grated carrots
1/4 cup Miracle Whip
1 Tablespoon lemon juice (bottled is OK)
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon yellow mustard
salt & pepper to taste

After the cabbage and carrots are grated, put them the food processor and chop 'em up really fine. Mix remaining ingredients by hand.

Put heaping mounds of this on top of your Heiner Buns and your Armour Franks and your (yecch) Vietti Hot Dog Chili, top it with some chopped onions and it will taste like a WVHD ought to.

No comments: